There’s a lot happening on the building front, so here goes!!!
1. If you were up here on Tuesday morning, you know that there were lots of trucks and people in the parking lot in front of Church #3. That’s because they were busy paving the parking lot! They also paved part of the lower parking lot next to Cemetery #2.
Before we start using the parking lot in front of Church #3, we need to practice a few more days of the Advent discipline of patience. We will NOT be able to use that parking lot until next week. We will make sure to tell you when it’s ok to start parking there.
2. The landscapers have been busy around the parking lot area planting trees, plants, and grass. It looks great.
3. The interior of the sanctuary is coming along nicely. Here’s a picture of what has been done.
A few details:
-The stained glass window is still being reworked and will be installed at a later date.
-The area with all the pieces of wood is where the pastors and musicians will go. The choirs and praise team go towards the back wall on risers, while the irregular shaped front is where the altar, pulpit, and other church furnishings will go.
-There is new lighting in the sanctuary. Each of these pendants uses approximately 90% less light than what we had in the sanctuary, puts out no heat, and will last 20 years before they will need to be changed.
-There is also track lighting that will be used to accent the music and chancel areas.
-The sacristy has been redesigned. The door to it is on the left side of the picture.
-The large open areas to the left and right of the large stained glass window are for the new pipe organ.
Here’s a time lapse video of the last month or so.
4. New lighting has been installed in the narthex area. Each of these lights are much more energy efficient than the old fixtures and will save us money in the long run. Here’s a picture.
A few details:
-The wall is flattened and there is less glass than before the remodel. Both of these changes will improve acoustics in the sanctuary.
-We are currently working on plans to broadcast the worship service in the narthex using a closed circuit system, so people that are in the narthex will be able to see and hear the worship service.
5. The office area is close to being finished. The staff plans on moving back into their offices after the first of the year. When we have an official clearance to move back, we’ll let you know because we’ll need some help with the moving.
6. Since we are doing remodeling, we have to meet current building codes. This means that we had to make some necessary changes to our restrooms to meet the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards.
7. The Building Team is currently getting bids to complete a part of the education building. Because of this congregation’s generosity and because of our contractor’s wise stewardship, we believe we have enough to enclose the gazebo and complete three offices. Our contractor and architects are working hard to determine if that is the case. Having these offices will provide us with 4 additional classroom spaces in the FLC and will give us a beautiful entrance on the 1604 side.
Onward with the adventure!!
A picture of the sanctuary from the balcony, December 2016.