On February 14, 1904, the first people to worship at Zion Lutheran Church were German-Americans who lived in a rural Bexar County. By 1906, they built the first church in northwest Bexar County and were known as Zion Lutheran Church of Helotes. The Historic Chapel is still used regularly for gathering and worship.
By 1936, the congregation had grown to 225 baptized members. The people of Zion served in a variety of ministries that blessed the local church, the local community, and the world. While improvements were made on the church property, Zion had people volunteering in the community at places like the Lutheran Service Center for those serving in World War II.
Zion continued to be a growing community of faith. In 1950, a new church sanctuary, commonly called Church #2, was dedicated. It provided seating for 250 people and was used until 1988, when the current sanctuary was dedicated. During the years Church #2 was used, Zion began to grow in numbers and ministries.
By 1988, the congregation moved into a new sanctuary and office complex. Today Zion is known as a church that gives God thanks for its past, but continues to move forward into the future.
For more information about Zion’s history, go to https://www.zionheloteshistory.org/